Whilst new Rolex releases seize the headlines, it can be helpful to grasp what fashions had been dropped from the present assortment. As an example, the Rolex Date – which have been a mainstay of the brand’s catalog for the reason that Nineteen fifties – is now formally discontinued.
The Oyster Perpetual Date, higher referred to as the Rolex Date, was once steadily overshadowed via its higher and extra well-known relative – the Datejust. On the other hand, that smaller case dimension is a sweet spot for plenty of watch wearers and we don’t doubt that the Rolex Date will proceed to be a well-liked choice at the preowned marketplace, in spite of its now-discontinued standing. With that during thoughts, let’s dive into our final purchasing information to the Rolex Date and uncover the whole lot that this type has to supply.
Rolex Oyster Perpetual Date
Rolex Date Key Options:
– Manufacturing Years: Nineteen fifties – 2021
– Case Dimension: 34mm
– Fabrics: Stainless Metal; Stainless Metal & Gold, Forged Gold
– Purposes: Time w/ Working Seconds, Date Show
– Bezel: Repaired, Stainless Metal or Gold, Fluted/Clean/Engine Rotated Taste
– Dial: More than one Choices To be had
– Luminosity: Tritium, Luminova, Tremendous-LumiNova, or Chromalight
– Glass: Acrylic or Crystal w/ Cyclops Lens
– Movement: Rolex Caliber 3135, 3035, 1575, 1565, 1035
– Water Resistance: 100 Meters / 330 Ft; 50 Meters / 165 Ft (Antique References)
– Band/Strap: Oyster or Jubilee Strap; Leather-based Band (Antique References)
Rolex Date – A Temporary Historical past
A few decade following the 1945 debut of the 36mm Oyster Perpetual Datejust, Rolex presented the Oyster Perpetual Date with a slighter smaller case that measured 34mm. Measurements apart, the Rolex Date has all the time shared a virtually similar glance to the Datejust together with the dial structure, case fabrics, band choices, bezel kinds, and Cyclops magnification lens above the date window at 3 o’clock.
As with any Rolex watches, the Oyster Perpetual Date has gone through a number of other cloth and mechanical updates over its six-plus many years of manufacturing. Moreover, there’s additionally the Woman-Date assortment with petite 26mm circumstances. Whilst the Woman-Date line was once dropped from the Rolex assortment within the mid-2000s the Date 34 remained for a number of further years till it was once in the long run discontinued in 2021.
Rolex Date 34 Fashions and Options
From the Nineteen fifties till only in the near past, Rolex had made 5 generations of the Oyster Perpetual Date watch, each and every characterised via its personal set of characteristic updates. Without reference to the era, Rolex Date watches featured 34mm water-proof Oyster circumstances with screw-down winding crowns and automatic Perpetual movements inside of them. Plus, because the call suggests, the watches come with a dial with a date window at 3 o’clock, whole with a Cyclops magnification lens at the glass above it.
Rolex Date 1152xx Collection
Probably the most modern of the Rolex Date collection, the six-digit Date 1152xx circle of relatives made its debut in 2005. Because of this, those references featured all of the bells and whistles of recent Rolex watches reminiscent of:
– Case water-proof to 100 meters (330 ft)
– Scrape-resistant glass glass
– Chromalight luminosity
– Oyster band with solid finish links and folding Oysterclasp with Easylink 5mm extension
– COSC-certified Caliber 3135 movement with 48-hour energy reserve
Via this level in time, Rolex now not made solid gold or two-toned editions, and essentially the most luxury-oriented choice was once the White Rolesor type that featured a fluted bezel in 18k white gold. At first, Rolex had made 3 variations of the Date 1152xx:
– Date ref. 115200: Metal case with a clean steel bezel
– Date ref. 115234: Metal case with a fluted white gold bezel. Diamond-set dial choice.
– Date ref. 115210: Metal case with an engine-turned steel bezel
On the other hand, the engine-turned bezel ref. 115210 variant was once discontinued after only a couple of years of being in manufacturing, whilst Rolex discontinued the 2 closing references in 2021.
Rolex Date 152xx Collection
The five-digit Date 152xx collection was once in manufacturing from about 1989 to 2005. Subsequently, relying at the yr of manufacturing for a Rolex Date from this era, it may well both have tritium, Luminova (from 1997), or Tremendous-LumiNova (from 2000) on its dial. Different defining options come with:
– Case water-proof to 100 meters (330 ft)
– Crystal glass
– Oyster band
Rolex made moderately a couple of case cloth and bezel taste choices to be had with in the 152xx collection of the Date.
– Date ref. 15200: Metal case with a clean steel bezel
– Date ref. 15210: Metal case with an engine-turned steel bezel
– Date ref. 15203: Metal and yellow gold case with clean yellow gold bezel
– Date ref. 15223: Metal and yellow gold case with a fluted yellow gold bezel. Diamond-set dial choice.
– Date ref. 15238: Yellow gold case with a fluted yellow gold bezel. Diamond-set dial choice. Jubilee band choice.
Rolex Date 150xx Collection
Rolex manufactured the five-digit Date 150xx collection all the way through the nineteen eighties with fabrics commonplace to that technology together with acrylic crystals and tritium lume. The Date 150xx collection watches run on Caliber 3035 movements, tucked inside of circumstances which can be water-proof to 100-meter deep.
The primary references of this actual era are as follows:
– Date ref. 15000: Metal case with clean steel bezel
– Date ref. 15010: Metal case with engine-turned steel bezel with buffed main points at hours
– Date ref. 15053: Metal and yellow gold case with fluted yellow gold bezel
– Date ref. 15037: 14k yellow gold case with fluted yellow gold bezel
– Date ref. 15038: 18k yellow gold case with fluted yellow gold bezel
– Date ref. 15148/0: 18k yellow gold case with hammered yellow gold bezel
Rolex Date 15xx Collection
Rolex produced the four-digit Date 15xx collection from about 1960 till the top of the nineteen seventies. Rolex Date watches from this period have circumstances which can be water-proof to 50 meters crowned with acrylic crystals. Throughout the watches are both the Caliber 1565 or Cal. 1575 and the dials are furnished with tritium luminous paint. Rolex presented many of the following references with the number of a leather-based bracelet or Oyster band and the gold and two-tone fashions additionally got here with the choice of an identical Jubilee band.
– Date ref. 1500/0: Metal case with clean steel bezel
– Date ref. 1500/3: Metal and 14k yellow gold case with clean 14k yellow gold bezel
– Date ref. 1500/7: 14k yellow gold case with clean 14k yellow gold bezel
– Date ref. 1501/0: Metal case with engine-turned steel bezel with buffed main points at hours
– Date ref. 1501/7: 14k yellow gold case with engine-turned 14k yellow gold bezel with buffed main points at hours
– Date ref. 1503/7: 14k yellow gold case with fluted 14k yellow gold bezel
– Date ref. 1550/5: Yellow gold shell case with clean yellow gold shell bezel
– Date ref. 1530/0: Stainless steel angular case with clean steel bezel and built-in band
The Rolex Date ref. 1530 is a specifically fascinating variant because it combines the angular silhouette and built-in band of Rolex Oysterquartz watches (which might later observe in 1977) however this distinctive version of the Rolex Date is equipped with a mechanical movement.
Rolex Date 653x Collection
The earliest era of the Rolex Date, the 653x references had been constituted of the mid-Nineteen fifties till the top of the last decade. Given their early production length, their luminous dials come with radium paint, their crystals are formed from acrylic, and the movements inside of them are in most cases the Caliber 1035. Some notable references from this antique Date collection come with the ref. 6530, 6535, and 6534 in stainless steel, and the reference 6537 in gold.
Together with the 34mm Date type, Rolex additionally made the Woman-Date in a 26mm case with an similar dial structure and Cyclops lens suited to the glass. Moreover, cloth and bezel choices had been equivalent with steel, two-tone gold/steel, and whole gold circumstances paired with quite a lot of bezels that come with clean, engine-turned, and fluted. One notable distinction is that the majority Woman-Date watches got here with a number of an Oyster or Jubilee band, now not simply the gold and two-tone fashions.
The final collection of the Rolex Oyster Perpetual Woman-Date was once the five-digit 79xxx circle of relatives (introduced in 1999 and discontinued within the mid-2000s) with 100-meters water resistance, glass crystals, and Caliber 2235 movements. Under are one of the crucial primary references from this era:
– Woman-Date ref. 79160: Metal case with clean steel bezel
– Woman-Date ref. 79190: Metal case with engine-turned steel bezel with buffed main points at hours
– Woman-Date ref. 79240: Metal case with engine-turned steel bezel. Oyster or Jubilee
Previous to that era, Rolex made the Woman-Date 69xxx collection, additionally equipped with glass crystals however relying at the yr of manufacturing, those watched could have both 50-meter or 100-meter intensity scores.
– Woman-Date ref. 69160: Metal case with clean steel bezel
– Woman-Date ref. 69190: Metal case with engine-turned steel bezel with buffed main points at hours
– Woman-Date ref. 69240: Metal case with engine-turned steel bezel
– Woman-Date ref. 69163: Metal and yellow gold case with clean yellow gold bezel
– Woman-Date ref. 69173: Metal and yellow gold case with fluted yellow gold bezel
– Woman-Date ref. 69174: Metal case with fluted white gold bezel
– Woman-Date ref. 69008: 18k Yellow gold case with Florentine end
There have been additionally a number of older generations of the Rolex Woman-Date made prior to the 69xxx collection and those antique variations, such because the Woman-Date ref. 6916, have acrylic crystals, tritium lume, and are to be had in a large collection of case fabrics and bezel kinds.
Rolex Date Worth
For the reason that Rolex Date is each smaller and now not as well-known because the mythical Datejust, it’s also in most cases extra inexpensive. As discussed, Rolex has lately discontinued the Oyster Perpetual Date however the final revealed producer advised retail costs (MSRP) had been as follows:
– Rolex Date ref. 115200: $6,500
– Rolex Date ref. 115234: $7,650
– Rolex Date ref. 115234 w/ diamond dial: $8,550
Likewise, preowned Rolex Date watches are slightly affordable when in comparison to different fashions. As an example, costs for a preowned Date ref: 115200 can get started at not up to $5,000, whilst a preowned Date ref. 115234 begins at simply above $6,000.
Older generations of the Rolex Date are in most cases even more cost effective or even complete gold variations, reminiscent of a preowned antique Date ref. 1503 and ref. 15037, can on occasion be had for not up to $10,000.
The Discontinued Rolex Date
Now that Rolex has discontinued the Rolex Date 34, there’s no longer a present choice for a stainless steel 34mm Rolex watch with a date window. Dimension-wise, there’s the Oyster Perpetual 34 however that’s a three-hander without a date show. When it comes to function, the 2 closest choices are the Datejust 31 and the Datejust 36. There could also be the Pearlmaster 34, however the ones watches are solely to be had in solid 18k gold or even essentially the most humble variations are nonetheless set with diamonds, thus making them a somewhat area of interest (and costly) providing.
Why Rolex has selected to let pass of the Date 34 somewhat than replace it with a new-generation movement like maximum of its different fashions stays (as the whole lot else the corporate does) a mystery. Moreover, the truth that the Date was once known as the “Date” somewhat than just being any other dimension choice of the Datejust additionally stays a mystery, nevertheless it was once a development that persisted for all the manufacturing run of the type.
Fortunately, the Rolex Date 34 will nonetheless be to be had at the secondary marketplace for the ones taking a look to shop for a vintage and restrained Rolex watch with a shockingly flexible case diameter. If you are feeling that the vintage 36mm Datejust is simply too massive on your wrist, whilst the midsize 31mm type is just a little too small, then the now-discontinued 34mm Rolex Date simply could be the very best watch for you.